Layout your song
Plan where you will place your lyrics using the Song Structure canvas
- You have a section of song or a loop and don’t know how to progress.
- You have lots of words and ideas for your song but you are having trouble making sense of where each piece goes
- You need to think through which musical devices you use where in your song e.g where to use static melody vs steps or leaps
- You want to ensure contrast musically and lyrically between sections of your song or instrumental
Find something to write with. Many people find paper and pen best for this exercise as it doesn’t impeded the flow of ideas. But you can use a phone or word processor if you prefer.
- Download and print the Song Structure canvas. Please note: This work is licensed.
- Set a timer for 25 minutes
- Write down anything that comes into your mind in relation to the topic
- Don’t worry about spelling or grammar
- Don’t edit yourself, put every thought down no matter how silly or disgraceful
- Resist the temptation to write lyrics. If rhymes or Lyric like lines emerge that’s fine but don’t try to create verses
- Don’t stop writing, write “I can’t think of anymore” or similar phrases if you can’t think of anything else
- Write for the full 25 minutes nonstop
After the 25 minute are up review the thoughts you have written down. This method It produces raw, often unusable material, but helps writers overcome blocks of apathy and self-criticism. Many writers use the technique to collect initial thoughts and ideas on a topic.