Find song ideas lurking in your subconscious
You’re looking for song ideas and you know there’s something in a rough creative territory that you want to write about but you can’t seem to catch the idea.
Find something to write with. Many people find paper and pen best for this exercise as it doesn’t impeded the flow of ideas. But you can use a phone or word processor if you prefer.
- Write the subject or spark phrase at the top of the page.
- Set a timer for 25 minutes
- Write down anything that comes into your mind in relation to the topic
- Don’t worry about spelling or grammar
- Don’t edit yourself, put every thought down no matter how silly or disgraceful
- Resist the temptation to write lyrics. If rhymes or Lyric like lines emerge that’s fine but don’t try to create verses
- Don’t stop writing, write “I can’t think of anymore” or similar phrases if you can’t think of anything else
- Write for the full 25 minutes nonstop
After the 25 minute are up review the thoughts you have written down. This method It produces raw, often unusable material, but helps writers overcome blocks of apathy and self-criticism. Many writers use the technique to collect initial thoughts and ideas on a topic.
Once you have a page full of ideas, see if you can find the key message of a song amongst them.